Contact Lens Wear and Care
Wearing contact lenses does require some care, because you must follow certain wear and care instructions to make sure you get the most out of your coloured contact lenses. Taking care of your lenses often requires some knowledge and some self-discipline. Which is why this guide is not only meant for new users, but also for existing contact lens users as well. This is because when handling lenses incorrectly it would cause permanent damage to the lenses and possibly to your eyes. This guide is your best reference when trying to minimize unnecessary damage.
First Step: Check The Contact Lens Bottle/Packaging
At Beautifeye we check all our contact lenses before dispatching them, but damage or defects may occur in transit. You must therefore careful check for the following damage/defects;
- See if the bottle/lens packaging is cracked or broken.
- See if the contact lenses have nicks or tears.
- See if both lenses share the same color.
- See if the bottle is expired.
In the event that you do find any of these defects, we apologize and suggest that you may need to contact Beautifeye to exchange products. If none of the above is relevent you may continue to the next step.
REMINDER: EXPIRY DATE
Confused about the expiry date on the bottle?
- The expiry date on the label of bottle refers to the solution expiry date, not the lenses.
- Lens expiry date is calculated AFTER you open the bottle.
- If lens bottle is experied and contact lenses are found inside, in this case the coloured contact lenses are considered as expired.
REMINDER: BOTTLE LABELS
Sometimes the label is not present- the reason being the manufacturer(s) may have missed some of the labels during production. Sometimes label is different from the website. This is because some products may have different marketing brands, but in fact they are all the same. We assure you that the quality and pattern design are exactly the same.
Second Step: Opening The Vial Bottle/Lens Packaging
Many people often find it difficult to open their contact lenses; they are apprehensive about damaging the lenses. But you needn't worry because we have compiled easy step by step instructions for you to follow,
- Open up the plastic cap (check for the small indicator on the lens cover, and pull).
- Pull plastic cap off.
- Pull the steel seal off (tip; some people prefer to pull the steel seal off with a pair of pliers)
- Remove the bottle cork.
Third Step: Steps to take BEFORE Usage of Coloured Contact Lenses
Have you got your lens case READY? READY means you have used multipurpose solution to disinfect the lens case at least twice before use- this is to minimise unwanted bacteria. Have you soaked the lenses at least 8 hours in multipurpose solution before put them on your eyes? We understand that wearing coloured contact lenses is exciting and you can't wait to try them on, but you are best advised to put your lens into multipurpose solution for at least 8 hours before wearing them. Don’t risk your eyes simply because you're impatient. Your safety matters the most.
Forth Step: Hygiene Safety
You need to be extra cautious when it comes to the cleanliness of your coloured contact lenses because the lens will be inserted to eye area. Therefore good hygiene will help to minimize the risk of bacterial infection. Follow these helpful tips to avoid unwanted bacteria;
- Always wash your hand with mild soap- if possible, scentless soap whenever using contact lenses.
- Make sure your hands are dry and free from soap when you're using your contact lenses.
- It is best to put on coloured contact lenses before make up, to avoid unnecessary oily stains or chemical products sticking on your hand.
- Keep your eye closed when using hairspray or other aerosols, because these products will irritate your eyes.
- Memorize all of the above steps and remember to keep yourself in a good hygiene habit.
Fifth Step: Insertion of Coloured Contact Lens
Wearing coloured contact elnses has never been easier, and we always include a step by step guide on how to insert said lenses. You will simply need to follow the steps below;
- Have cleaned hands.
- Have a mirror at your disposal.
- Always start with the right eye to prevent confusion.
- Place the lens on your index finger.
- Use your middle finger to pull the lower eye lid and your other hand to pull the upper eye lid.
- Place the lens in the corner of your eye, and do not blink.
- Slide the lens from the bottom before the top part- be gentle.
- Blink your eye to adjust the lens position (a few blinks will help to adjust the lens).
- Follow the above steps for your left eye.
- For new users, it is not always that easy to put them on. Follow each of the above steps, and give yourself a little more time- and remember not to get frustrated.
- Check if your eyes are dry. If they are dry, you can always use eye drops to moisturise your eyes.
- Don’t panic. Getting dry eyes is normal given the dry weather.
- Check if you eyes feel any discomfort. Remove the lens immediately if you feel a prolonged burning sensation or scratch on the eye(s).
- After removal, check if the lens has been turned inside out, or any visibly damaged i.e. nicks or tears.
- Try the discomfort contact lens on the other eye and see if the discomfort persists.
- If the discomfort persists, then please check with the eye doctor or seek help from email@example.com.
- NEVER swim with lenses in eyes.
- NEVER wear lenses in sauna/steam room.
- NEVER wear lenses more than 8 hours a day.
- NEVER sleep with your lenses while they are in your eyes.
- NEVER share your lens with others.
- Have cleaned hands.
- Have access to a mirror.
- Remove the lens from your right eye first.
- Bring your index finger close to the eye until it touches the lens.
- Slide the lens down to the lower white part of eye. Do not blink.
- Gently squeeze/pinch the contact lens between your thumb and index finger, then remove it.
- Remove the other lens in the same fashion as above.
- Have you lens case ready. DO NOT use the vials that your lenses arrived in.
- Throw away the previous solution in the case.
- Wash the lens case ONLY with the multipurpose solution.
- Squeeze several drops of multipurpose solution into the contact lens case.
- Put the contact lens on the palm of your hand.
- Put a few drops of solution onto the lens and rub it softly between your clean fingers, for about 15 seconds. This will help to remove germs/bacteria.
- Place your lens into the lens case.
- Make sure lens are completely submerged in the multipurpose solution.
- Store your lens at room temperature.
- We Recommend changing your solution everyday to avoid gems/bacteria growing.
Q : How do I put them in?
A : The product comes with detailed instructions on how to insert the coloured contact lenses.
Q : Are coloured contact lenses hard to put in?
A : No, it just takes a little bit of practice. We provide simple step by step instructions on the product(s) to make your life easier when inserting your coloured and crazy contact lenses.
Q : How long do they last?
A : When unopened the product has a three year life span, however as soon as the vial is opened the product has a certain life span during, which is dependent on what the packaging of the contact lens states- certain lenses last longer than others.
Q : Do I need an eye test?
A : Here at Beautifeye coloured contact lenses we believe everybody should have an eye test for their peace of mind. However you do NOT need an eye test to wear them.
Q : I wear glasses does this mean I can’t use this type of product?
A: As our product does not alter your vision there is no reason why you can’t wear them at the same time as your glasses.
Q: I wear contact lenses, can I wear patterns or colours over or under them?
A: No if you wear contacts to correct your vision you will need to purchase prescription colour or pattern contact lenses from your optician.
Q : What is the minimum age?
A : There is no law stating a minimum age. Our research has found that younger buyers take more care of the product and follow any instructions given much better than adults, this is because to the younger buyer the product is a large investment and naturally they want to take care of this investment.